A professional FAFSA® preparation and filing service. Not affiliated with the US Department of Education.
Hello, (Sign In) | My Applications | FAQs | About Us | Contact Us
We answer e-mail seven days a week
Learn About FAFSA College Locator State Aid Deadlines

Can I file a FAFSA even if I haven't filed taxes yet?

Beginning with the 2017-2018 FAFSA, tax information is required for the "prior prior" year. In most cases, you will want to have filed that required year's taxes before you file for the FAFSA. For example:

  • The 2018-2019 FAFSA requires your 2016 tax information. In most cases, you will want to have filed your 2016 taxes before filing your 2018-2019 FAFSA.

If you want to file a FAFSA before filing the required year's taxes, you can do so by simply estimating your tax information on the FAFSA. Then, after you have filed your taxes, you can correct your FAFSA information, if necessary.

To correct FAFSA information that was previously filed, first wait to receive your SAR (Student Aid Report), which indicates that your initial filing has been processed. This typically happens within 2 weeks of providing the Department of Education with your signature. Then go to https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/fafsa and enter the student's first name, last name, Social Security Number, and date of birth. Then click on Make FAFSA Corrections. You will then need to enter a Federal Student Aid ID number. If you don't already have an FSA ID, you can get one by going to https://fsaid.ed.gov.

Still have questions? We're happy to help. Try the Learning Center, or contact us for answers.